Automated testing (monitoring) of network devices and applications
AnetTest is an integrated packet generator and sniffer for Ethernet, but also similarly works with blocks of data at a TCP connection. Enables you to use scripts for automated testing, monitoring, imitating of various network objects, creating custom network tools.
1. Generating any packets at channel level for Ethernet networks;
2. Work with TCP sessions. Sending and receiving data over TCP connection.
Imitating client or server;
3. The ability of sending some data alternating with receiving some expected data;
4. Using (creating) own headers for any network protocol or packet's template;
5. Using flexible language with conditions, variables, cycles and others;
6. Creating own sniffers with custom output. Powerful analysis of packets;
7. Writing various network tools for testing, monitoring or imitating network objects;
8. Work with statistic resulted from tests. Displaying summary reports;
9. Automatic (automated) testing of firewalls;
10. Imitating the work of network applications using info from trace file.
It may be useful for implementing automatic (automated) testing of firewall;
11. Modifing and powerful analyzing of trace files.
Many of functions AnetTest implements are the combinations of two base functions: sending and recieving of packets or blocks of data over TCP connection. Above these functions there is a script language.The script enables you to
AnetTest was initially developed for automated firewall testing. Only hardware firewalls are supposed but such firewalls may be implemented by loading firewall software on a separate computer.
For packet filter testing it's possible to describe a set of different packets in script, and also the requests for each of them weather it must be passed by the filter or must not be.
If you are able to connect all the interfaces of filter to a single computer then it will be possible to implement an easy and fast test.
Otherwise you will need to implement an additional automated system which would be able to synchronously start a packet generator and sniffers on different computers, and gather the trace-files issued by the sniffers.
While testing complex firewalls the work with separate packets is quite difficult. AnetTest offers the ability of work with the samples of network traffic stored in trace-file. So it imitates network activity in strict compliance with trace-file. Requests may be specified about what packets must be passed by firewall and what are not.
It should be noted that the imitation doesn't mean the simple generation of the packets from trace-file. Packets must be generated from different sources so the initial configuration of test is requied.
Search for other programs